A dripping faucet can be rather annoying as you sit and hear the drip, drip, drip sound of water drops hitting the bottom of the sink. Besides being an annoyance, dripping faucets waste water and increases monthly water bills with Mississauga plumber.
There can be several reasons why your faucet is dripping including:
- Age of the Faucet – Over time, the hardware within the faucet can simply wear out due to age and not operate correctly.
- Worn Out O-Rings – O-rings are a small discs, normally attached to a screw on faucets with turning knobs. O-rings can become loose or wear out and allow small amounts of water to pass through and drip into the sink.
- Defective Washers – Most washers are made of rubber and are found inside the spout piece on most faucets. The washer helps seal the faucet when the valve seat is closed and stop leaks.
- Worn out Valve Seat – The valve seat is a moveable component that opens and closes against the washer. Hard water mineral deposits and corrosion can cause the valve seat to wear out.
- Wrong Size Faucet Washer – While a rare occurrence, sometimes faucet manufacturers do make mistakes and could use the wrong size washer in the faucet. If the washer is too big or too small it can leak.
- Worn Out Gaskets/Seals– Dirt, dust, and other particles can get trapped inside certain areas on some faucet models. Over time, this causes the seals and gaskets to stop working correctly and leads to dripping faucets.
- Hard Water Mineral Deposits – The calcium and mineral deposits in hard water can lead to leaky faucets. The deposits prevent the valve seat, washers, and O-rings from closing correctly. They can also cause blockages on faucet filter screens.
- Corrosion– Some of the metal parts and components within the faucet can corrode and cause the faucet to malfunction and not operate correctly.
- Broken Pipe Fittings/Broken Pipes – While rare, sometimes cracks in pipe fittings and pipes can cause a change in the water pressure. This change in water pressure can cause water to drip from faucets periodically, where you night not even know there is a problem.
TIP: An increase in your water bill, when you do not have dripping faucets within the home and have not used more water than usual, is a sign you have a water leak somewhere in the plumbing lines within the home.
When replacing leaky faucets, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional plumbing company in Mississauga. There are specific methods used, depending upon the type of faucet that require precision alignment of inlet hot and cold water lines to prevent further leaks. In addition, your plumber can inspect existing hardware to determine the most appropriate solutions to fix the dripping faucet. In some cases, your plumber might be able to repair your existing hardware, too.
To learn more about faucet repair and replacement options or our other plumbing services, please contact My Precise Plumbing at (647) 878-9293 to talk to one of our plumbing experts and discuss your specific needs today!